This is my favourite icing to use on cupcakes; its less sweet than American traditional buttercreams and more grown-up tasting plus it pipes really well when you flavour it!
This recipe makes enough buttercream to pipe onto 12 large cupcakes:
250g unsalted butter
120g caster sugar
2 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
- whisk egg whites and sugar over heat until no longer grainy to touch (longer than 5 minutes)
- remove from heat and whisk until cool and thick
- add butter in small amounts and keep whisking
- once all the butter has been added keep whisking until the buttercream comes together (it looks dodgy for a while but it will be fine)
- once its all mixed up you can add flavouring or colours and mix it in but adding too much liquid will make the buttercream to runny to pipe with.