23 October 2011

Gran's Birthday Cake: Hummingbird and Chocolate

It was my Gran's birthday last weekend and as I couldn't make it up to visit her in person I sent my mum up with a cake (a fair replacement I'd have thought, it doesn't talk or demand sweets every 10 minutes). Gran likes fruit, nuts and chocolate in cakes so I saw this as a good chance to try making a recipe for hummingbird Cake from the Hummingbird recipe book.

hummingbird

The cake is essentially a carrot cake but using banana and pineapples for carrot and pecan nuts instead of walnuts. I've made a few different types of carrot cake so I liked the idea of the different fruit in this one. Traditionally, as with carrot cakes, the hummingbird cake is iced with cream cheese icing but I think its weird and it freaks me out so I went for a milk chocolate icing instead thinking it would make a fun flavour mix and chocolate makes everything better anyway (fact).


In taste and texture its quite similar to banana bread and according to my mum makes it seem wholesome so it could pass as a healthy cake I suppose.....  The chocolate doesn't overpower the flavour of the fruit either which I thought it would so thats good too.

Hummingbird Cake (from the Hummingbird Bakery; makes 3 x 20cm rounds)
300g caster sugar
3 eggs
300ml sunflower oil
270g peeled bananas, mashed (about 2 1/2 medium bananas)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
300g plain flour
1 tsp bicarb of soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
100g tinned pineapple, drained
100g pecans chopped up smallish = extra to make it pretty

1) Preheat the oven to 170 degrees and prepare the tins
2) Beat together the sugar, eggs, oil, banana and cinnamon until the ingredients are well mixed together.
3) Slowly add the dry ingredients and beat until everything is mixed (too much beating and the cake will become heavy)/
4) Stir in the chopped pineapple and pecans.
5) Split the mixture into the 3 tins and bake for 20-25 minutes.


Chocolate Frosting (from the Hummingbird Bakery; double for the cake)
300g icing sugar
100g unsalted butter
40g cocoa powder
40ml milk

1) Beat everything together until creamy; the longer you beat it the lighter it gets
2) Eat whats left after you've iced the cake

No comments:

Post a Comment